Monday, October 3, 2011

cast iron skillets

I've been wanting a cast iron skillet.   Two used skillets came my way this past week.   The first is an 8" Griswold, last manufactured about 1957.    The skillet interior had a coating of what looked like some sort of rusty hard glue.   I carefully scraped off crud with a single edge razor blade for 2 days.    Then came 2 days of oven cleaner & more scrubbing.    After a thorough cleaning, I seasoned it and am impressed how well it turned out.   The 2nd skillet is a 10" Lodge Logic which I cleaned and seasoned with a lot less effort - it also looks pretty darn good (no pic).     Can't wait to try cooking in them!

Before pic - top

Before - bottom

After 2 days of scraping

After scraping - close up of back

After cleaning and seasoning - top

After cleaning and seasoning -bottom

No comments:

Post a Comment